Hello, my name is Kris Wenzel and welcome to Essential SQL. There is so much to absorb when learning SQL. My job is to steer you in the right direction and get you started on the right foot.
It can get pretty overwhelming learning SQL. To help, I’ve created the following series of lessons, in plain English, to get you started. They start from ground zero, and assume you no nothing of SQL. Before we start learning, pickup my free guide to getting started with SQL server. With it, you’ll be off on the right foot.
Also, I would recommend you join the Essential SQL Learning Group. There you’ll find an awesome community ready to help and learn alongside you!
My first lesson series is called Get Ready to Learn SQL and is based on my course SQL 101:
- Simple Select Queries – To query your data you’ll use the select command. This lesson covers basic concepts.
- How to Sort Your Query Results – Once you’re retrieving data you’ll want to start to manipulate it. Learn how to order your results.
- How to Filter Your Query Results – Not all data is relevant, learn how to exclude those entries you don’t need.
- How to Filter Using Boolean Logic – Learn how to use AND and OR operators to create complicate query conditions.
- How to Filter using Pattern Matching – Learn how to use the LIKE operator to partially match values.
- Introduction to Data Types – Learn about data types and those commonly used in databases.
- Introduction to the CASE Statement – Discover how to influence an expression’s outcome by applying conditional logic within.
- Introduction to SQL Server’s Built-In Functions
- How to Group and Summarize your Results – Use the GROUP BY and HAVING clauses with aggregate functions, such as SUM and COUNT, to summarize your data.
- Introduction to Data Modeling – Lean to recognize parent child relationships (one to many)
My second lesson series is called Get Ready to Combine Data and is based on my course SQL 201:
- Database Normalization – Understand why it is important to organize data into separate tables. Knowing this, makes learning Joins so much easier.
- Introduction to Database Joins – Learn how to combine data from separate tables into a single view.
- Learn SQL Set Operators – Learn to use the SQL UNION, INTERSECT, and EXCEPT operators to combine or exclude rows from multiple tables.
- Learn SQL Sub Queries – Learn to use the sub queries and correlated sub queries in the SELECT, FROM, WHERE, and HAVING statements.
- Join, Set Operator, and Sub Query Case Study – Case study based on a student’s question that incorporates and INNER JOIN, UNION, and subquery into the answer.
Along the way you’re bound to have questions about databases in general, the pieces that make them up, or something unusual about SQL. Check out these questions to satiate your curiosity.
These and more questions are also found here.